Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Griff
Participant

@KeepAnEyeOnBob wrote:

Brown Thomas at least looks a bit better since they painted it, put new windows in and did the work on the canopy. It’s still pretty ugly but it at least doesn’t look quite so depressing and shabby.

Griff – I agree, Café on the Row breakfast on a Sunday is great. I love the interior of it too whatever about the mundane 90s building that it is a unit in. I’d be really sorry to see it go – it’s the kind of place that makes the city centre better than any soulless out of town shopping mall.

Brown Thomas should be knocked (ideally) its a cheap nasty looking building in the centre of town.Sticking on fancy porches and a lick of paint is short term, you cant dress up dross…this should be a flagship department store fitting the centre of a major ( in Irish terms) city… as for penneys/dunnes/roches supermarket….they have destroyed Sarsfield st IMO… cheap and tacky.I dont think knocking the whole block is a good idea unless a seriously high quality development is put in its place – which , lets be fair is unlikley. Id be in favour of retaining the original Roches building – its not great but the best of the lot ,as well as the TSB bank and Martins pub. The chemists next to Dunnes also is not too bad. While Im on this rant, there are many fine buildings in the town – but so many need money spent to maintain them… in an ideal world a few million would be spent on Re replacing all the PVC crap that was put it and fitting new sash windows.. on all georgian buildings from Matthew Bridge to O Connel ave..including the major side strees…

Latest News