Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

KeepAnEyeOnBob
Participant

@Fairy wrote:

Re: your P.S. While I am not the greatest fan of the Opera Centre and the eventual consequences of lhe loss of so many buildings, I must say IMO ,Trinity Rooms are not being civic minded in trying to hold such a massive investment in their ‘beloved Limerickto ransom for ‘what everyone knows as a postage stamp of land;. While I commend Trinity tfor employing 100 persons (50% of which I’m sure of are either casual or part-time) they now need to deal in fact. Fact is they have no claim to this land and my guess is, they are trying to milk the situ.

Civic minded? By helping an inner city shopping mall go ahead, that ultimately will just be a bigger more modern version of Arthur’s Quay – but ultimately, probably just as dingy? (just adding lots of modern glass entrances and so on does not magically allow these places to be any different from past developments that don’t stand the test of time, even one decade). Why is it civic minded to facilitate the loss of historic streetscape on Ellen Street (whatever about the buildings behind the facades, some of which may need replaced anyways)? Exchange street-scape character (that can be worked upon to have a suitable retail environment) for bland shopping mall?

It seems to me that it is the Opera Centre developers holding people to ransom, with the now vacant Patrick Street that they hold sway over. Give us what we want or you just have an ugly eyesore. However poor Patrick Street was/is, they should never have been allowed to have everything to be shut up until there was a concrete schedule for the Opera Centre (or any other development).

Latest News