Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Tuborg
Participant

@CologneMike wrote:

The An Bord Pleanala inspector found that the proposal would adversely affect 49-50 Thomas Street because of the loss of light. Sounds pretty reasonable to me. That is until I passed 49-50 Thomas Street (AuBars) on a sunny day recently.

The front façade of the bar bistro is shaded by black awnings / canopies. Black being the predominant colour of the painted walls that the windows seemed to me to be tinted like sun glasses with some lights switched on inside. Is somebody taking the piss here! :confused:

That building is actually a real mess, originally it was a simple red brick georgian townhouse. However at some stage over the last 20 years it was given a rendered finish and its timber sash windows were replaced with some nice plastic ones.:mad:

Apart from the hideousness of these windows and the general drabness of the street frontage, they are also contrary to the City Councils own strategy of encouraging live frontages and the improvement of shopfronts especially on newly pedestrianised Streets.

Also, Id love to know what the story is with those ridiculous imitation decorative mouldings (not sure of the correct term) over the first floor windows. If you look at them a little more closely, you’ll see that they are actually wooden and were probably purchased at a local home improvement store!:rolleyes: This is definitely a building suffering from a serious identity crisis!

Latest News