Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?
Home › Forums › Ireland › well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? › Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?
Proposed Limerick Boat Club Redevelopment (2008) and Cologne Chocolate Museum (1993).
I thought I post this as both have some similar characteristics.
- Both are positioned on the head of river piers. (Shannon / Rhine)
- Both piers are intersected by bridges. (Sarsfield / Severin)
- Both have similar glass front facades at the head of their piers.
- Both riverfronts are in the process of major redevelopments. (Arthurâ€™s Quay / Rheinauhafen)
- Both locations have mooring facilities for pleasure boats.
The Chocolate Museum is built around a former custom and excise building on both sides. The large usage of aluminium might give a factory feel to it. In fact the museum contains a working chocolate production line from start to finish. Of course it has gastronomy facilities (CafÃ© / Beer Garden) and a shop (Chocolate). It is a commercially run museum and a very popular visitor attraction.
Obviously there also many differences between the two locations especially scale of size. The 1993 exterior design might look somewhat cumbersome and could put some people off in supporting Fordmountâ€™s proposal for the Boat Club. However it is just a practical exercise at comparing this proposal with another one elsewhere.