Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

dave123
Participant

@KeepAnEyeOnBob wrote:

I agree there’s nothing inherently wrong with apartment complexes, and certainly I think the higher level development by the riverfront is great, and am happy to see more of it.

However, I do object to this “flatten it all” attitude that has seen Limerick end up with less historical building stock and more crummy poorly thought out buildings (some of which themselves are to be knocked). It is arrogance to think that all 2008 designs will be so great and modern that they will have the permanance of the old buildings.

You say that part of town is soulless. I beg to differ. It is dreary and run down, and yes the buildings are typical of other places in Ireland. That is the point though, we are in Ireland and the buildings contribute to the authentic indigenous character (i.e. we don’t have to make up plastic stuff for tourists). Even paint would spruce up some of the less run-down buildings, and indeed already has helped (e.g. at the William/Gerald Griffin st corner). The streetscape is also a contributing factor to the run down feeling. William street despite some decrepid buildings would not be half as bad if it had a decent streetscape (although a pity they didn’t bring in the chewing gum tax).

Some of the old buildings are actually very distinctive in that area, for example the building near the corner of Gerald Griffin St. and Sexton St. that has timber frame on the outside. Quite run down but worth doing up. New buildings around there could be good, but they could just as easily be soulless monstrousities that will be as depressing as run-down old buildings in just a matter of 5-10 years.

I’m not for all flattening either, but the majority of south william street to Parnell street is among the most run down decayed, bland and same crap buildings thats in every provincial town around the country. There is nothing of character or beautiful about them IMO. Some parts of Willams street yes is distinctive etc. This development could be nice addition to be a gateway building coming from the south of the city. This project is not going to hinder or destroy the streetscape of the area, its already decayed. The Tower proprosal, if goes ahead, will probably reduced to 12 to 15 storeys. If its that height it might work. Take a look at other cities around the world that has high rise in the city centre, even as small as Limerick or Cork. People in other countries just don’t have a phobia with high density, high rises. I use the term “2008” as we need to discard the attitude that something new and ambitious is negative. Although not every high rise built in Ireland is inspiring, breathaking or imagnative. The Riverpoint was a big success here in Limerick. tbf. Despite the controversary prior to the go ahead of it. Now the positive attention Limerick get’s as a result that its gilimmering in view. It’s new, its modern, its awesome.
But building up is the way to go, that is what I mean by 2008. It doesn’t mean in any way flatten the old etc etc.

Latest News