Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Anonymous
Inactive

@dave123 wrote:

If it’s a nice building, I can’t see how it would spoil the skyline. Most of this area of the city is just plain crap! Its probably the worst part of town. Nothing in architectural merit, nothing strategically historical other than St. Johns castle. If I was to have the same negative opinion that a high rise would be negative to the skyline, then so is st johns church equally.

Please get with the times, its 2008 now. Having a Gateway building here at the N24 just south of Williams street. would be fantastic. If the builiding is tacky of course it will have a huge negative impact on the skyline, of course I wouldn’t like to see a tacky building up by any means so. But if the building is stunning in architecture then it would be fantastic!

People missed point on the Cork Tower, how come that tower does not have a negative impact on the city there, when it’s actually built fairly close to the heart of the city. It’s actually taller than this proprosal. The Cork tower is located on a higher elevation too. The point of a high rise tower, is for it to be seen, not hidden.
This negative Irish attitude to anything high rise, never fails to surprise me . Its unbelieable the crap you hear on reasons not to build a tower!

Cologne, I can see the Riverpoint tower all the way from behind Catherine street, would that mean it has a negative impact on the surrounding city in view?

Its unbelieable the crap you hear on reasons not to build a tower!

Pro or contra, to dismiss other peoples’ arguments as “crap reasons” is pretty weak posting.

Nothing in architectural merit, nothing strategically historical other than St. Johns castle.

By the way King John’s Castle is in the English town part of the city.

The junction of Upper William Street and Gerald Griffin Street is roughly where the New Town Pery and the Irish Town meet.

See previous posts 625 626 627

If I was to have the same negative opinion that a high rise would be negative to the skyline, then so is st johns church equally.

Church spires in European towns and cities are part of our Christian heritage. I presume Cathedral spires would be built taller to reflect their importance. St. John’s Cathedral would definitely not compete in architectural terms with the likes of the Kölner Dom. However it must have made a very powerful political statement to the British Establishment in Limerick back then to demonstrate their hard won catholic emancipation and especially built just a few decades after the Great Famine!

Please get with the times, its 2008 now.

I thought high rise buildings are now already around some 100 years, nothing new to the 21st century.

Having a Gateway building here at the N24 just south of Williams street. would be fantastic.

I would have thought that today’s city gateway on the N24 (Waterford) would be at the Ballysimon roundabout?

Personally I like high rise but not erected anywhere irrespective of good quality.

A coherent skyline is a positive characteristic for Limerick city.

Below an image overlooking the junction of Upper William Street / Gerald Griffin Street

(1) Proposed site for 18 Storey Tower
(2) Telecommunications Pylon 😡
(3) 17 Storey Clarion Hotel
(4) 15 Storey Riverpoint
(5) 11 Storey Marriott Hotel
(6) Allied Irish Bank

Latest News