Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Tuborg
Participant

To be fair, the plans for the boat club site are not all that bad. They are bold, ambitious and certainly a break from the norm. I can see both sides of the argument, the developers want to create something modern and striking while others want to see the past preserved. The problem I have with the proposal is its location. As CologneMike said earlier, the main factor that should be taken into account here is Sarsfield bridge. We should be more concerned about any potential negative impact on the bridge rather than getting caught up in all this nonsense about creating “iconic structures.” I would foe example have serious concerns about the intention to relocate the current pedestrian access point. Does this mean the removal of the steps from the bridge to the pier and would it require any alterations to the bridge itself?

You would also have to have concerns regarding its impact on the riverscape and for example, would it obscure views of the rowing club on the opposite side of the bridge and St Marys Cathedral? Looking at the plans, the glazed cylindrical portion is much more attractive than the elevation that directly faces the bridge. In my opinion it looks chunky and overbearing.

Having said all that, I would quite like to see this built somewhere in Limerick, although I believe it would potentially be more suited to the redeveloped docklands or possibly the ESB site on a larger scale.

Below: Wellesley pier and Limerick Boat club with rowing club in the background. (Derhur)

Latest News