Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Anonymous
Inactive

Limerick Boat Club

“We were keen to make a very strong architectural statement with the new building but we were equally keen to avoid overpowering the neighbouring buildings,” said Mr McCann.

That’s a big challenge to pull off.

The elegant “cut-stone” Sarsfield’s Bridge remains for me the central, dominant building and its add-ons i.e. Limerick Boat Club, Shannon Boat Club, War of Independence Memorial are only of secondary importance. Not to mention those superficial cosmetic hanging baskets and the draping necklace of white lights which in my opinion are both only used to dress up a poorly designed building. This bridge is most certainly not.

The two buildings of the Limerick Boat Club are both well past their shelf life date. New modern club facilities such as gym, indoor rowing basin, social-function room would give the club a major boost to enrol new rowing members. The Shannon River remains an under utilised natural resource in Limerick city.

“I really hope people will look at these plans and say ‘That’s fantastic.’ That’s the reaction I want to get. If they don’t want it, we’ll forget about it. It’s now a question of whether the city wants this building or not,” said Mr Daly, Fordmount Properties.

Architect Sean McCann said their design takes its inspiration from “ship hulls, lightweight fabric sails, rowing oars and robust sea walls.”

Fair enough Michael, Sean but maybe you could upload larger images onto your web sites so that we can get a better, more detailed impression of your proposal.

Fordmount Properties / McCann Moore Architects

Latest News