Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Tuborg
Participant

@CologneMike wrote:

Tunnel to link new Court House to Prison

They seem to be serious on moving the courthouse to Mulgrave Street. To date nothing to be seen on the OPW site. Would the proposed courthouse face Mulgrave Street or would it front onto the new proposed road linking Cathedral Place with Sexton Street?

What new use would be in store for the building in Merchant’s Quay after they had moved? Filmhouse? Theatre?

I dont blame them to be honest, I believe the district court has actually been housed in the City hall building since it was opened in the late 80s, what a ridiculous decision that was!:rolleyes: Apparently the Council are concerned about the negative publicity generated by the all too common shots of City hall in news reports. It cant be good for visiting officials either or for people just carrying out business there.

Having said that, the circuit court is also located just metres away from City hall, I presume this would move to the new site on Mulgrave Street aswell? I know the courts service are developing a new court complex in Dublin at the moment so Im not sure how much funds are available for the project here, although I have heard rumours that a public private partnership might be used!

There are plans in the pipeline for a revamp of the potato market to turn it into a plaza area with possibly a new cultural building on another part of the site. If this went ahead, the close proximity of the courthouse would make it all the more attractive for some sort of cultural/civic use. Would it be suitable as the new location for the City library or would it be too small?

Murray O Laoire completed a €7 million refurbishment of the courthouse back in 2002.

Below: Court House with potato market to the right.

Latest News