Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

ShaneP
Participant

I agree completely with the two posts above. Looks like another lost opportunity for Limerick is on the cards with that proposal, we can only hope the planners will agree. A new city library in the church building perhaps with the long anticipated arthouse cinema, housed in the adjoining buildings would seem like the most obvious use for the Jesuit complex. With all the recent reports and talk of regeneration of Limerick the city council and developers could put their money where their mouths are and take this opportunity to provide at least one interesting facility to entice people into the centre. Is there even a planner in Limerick with conservation expertise to deal with listed buildings? I don’t think the interior will fair too welI with a swimming pool.

A swimming pool/ gym facility for the city centre would find an ideal location integrated with the River Shannon and could make for a second unique spectacular and practical addition to a regenerated city centre It could be designed to incorporate new public space, perhaps located around the Arthur’s Quay Park/ Dunnes Stores/ Sarsfield House area.

The Dutch bookshop looks stunning, perhaps something for the Fransiscan Church to emulate when it becomes a library for Mary I? I tried to find some info on the ‘designers’ of the Jesuit Church scheme but there doesn’t appear to anything on the net.Information on the appliction has yet to be posted on the City Council site.
I can’t help think of the vandalism that was carried out to one of the Georgian buildings on Glentworth St – not the Chinese restaurant that stuck some kind of a pagoda lookin thing on the front, but across the road where a large green extension was stuck on to the side of one the buildings in the middle of the street – think it’s used as the Youth Services building, sorry for lack of photo’s. It’s dreadful, would probably crack your computer monitors if Iposted it anyways.

Latest News