Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Tuborg
Participant

@CologneMike wrote:

By the way what has happened to Bus Eireann’s application (06268) for a new bus station. Further information was received by the city council in March but no due dates are given. What’s up? :confused:

Theres actually a photomontage of the proposed new station in the window of the Bus Eireann travel centre on Thomas Street (they’re moving soon so the plans wont be there for much longer!) Its basically a 2 level structure of steel and glass with what looks like wooden decking attached to the front! Theres absolutely nothing about it on the Bus Eireann or DoT sites! According to a press release last year, its costing around €5million and is due to be complete by the end of 2008! They’d want to get a move on so!

As its still going through the planning process, I just wonder is there an issue with the new access point to the station from Roxborough road, given the already high volumes of traffic on that route? even though I would consider it to be a better option than the current arrangement, its certainly more straightforward!

While its good to see Bus Eireann finally getting their act together (as the current setup is a poor excuse for a bus station and if a worse facility exists I certainly wouldnt like to see it!) its a pity Iarnród Eireann dont follow suit and put some much needed investment into their station, its smelly, cramped and woefully outdated! It makes for a terribly embarassing first impression of the city and things dont get much better with Davis Street and Parnell Street!:o Mercifully at the end of Davis Street is the refurbished Baker Place!

Images

Con Colbert Station Limerick (completed in 1847)

Davis Street

Baker Place

Latest News