Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Anonymous
Inactive

@GMiley wrote:

thought I’d add my tuppence worth to the Charlotte’s Quay situation you’ve been talking about a bit.

I seen to remember that the planning application for the car park which forms the ‘core’ of the site in question received planning approval in late 1999. I was working in the architect’s dept of Limerick City Council at the time and when the application was put on my desk for comment I instinctively reacted thinking that the proposal represented a lost oportunity for one of the most important sites in the city. I drew up an alternative proposal for the entire site which (I’m symplifying now) would include developing a small plaza roughly where the car park now stands served by a network of small streets which would attempt to stitch the site fabric back into the existing layout of Charlotte’s Quay, Broad Street, etc.

Garry I had a closer look in the old city planning map and I seem to be a whole decade out as to when the regeneration of Michael Street, Charlotte’s Quay and Broad Street took place. In fact it was during the 1990’s. This lost opportunity for such a large city “core” site surely must have been blatantly obvious to the rest of your former colleagues and even right up as far as the city manager back then? The then elected city councillors and Mayor must have been like walking zombies not to have seen the sheer wastage of open space lost by building this Multi-storey car park?

Now that it is here to stay, have you any ideas as how to improve its present layout in order to make it a friendly environment, to live and work in? Or would you think this site is in the eyes of the city planning department now fully developed?

On another note, I have been hustling a proposal for how to get more activity going in the Georgian area of Limerick, a place I’m really passionate about. If you’re interested, you might go to my website – the Planning Dispatch – which you’ll find at http://www.garrymiley.com . I think it’s Dispatch No 11 which you’ll find in the archive section. You might take the time to read the experiences of some the people who’ve been trying to renovate buildings on the RPS in the area and the level of crap they have to put up with.

Your Dispatch on The Conservation of Georgian Limerick Parts 1 and 2 is top. I even had to print it out as I will have to reread it a number of times to digest it all. Very well written!

See Posts 869 1233 1248 1249

Latest News