Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

jimg
Participant

That park has never worked.

Yeah it’s been an absolute failure. It’s hard to say this about a park I’d rather see it built over. This is especially weird for me because the design of the park, from what I recall, isn’t too bad and the tourist center is an interesting building. Unfortunately it’s location means it was always cut off from the city; it is bounded by the river and a three lane street/road and there is nothing to attract footfall anywhere near it. Even the buildings across the road from it are effectively dead; you have a multistory car park and the back of the run-down Dunnes shopping centre (discussed earlier).

If it were to be built over, it would represent a great opportunity to create a new quarter in the city centre. You could have Bars/resteraunts/cafes and shops opening onto the quayside path/walk that’s there. The risk is that very little proper thinking would go into its redevelopment and Limerick would end up with more lowish-grade apartment blocks like many of those around the docks area.

By the way dave123, where are you getting the pictures you post? Most of them are frustratingly tiny and it’s impossible to get any sort of an impression of the buildings they contain.

Latest News