Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Tuborg
Participant

@demolition man wrote:

This may be a long shot,but wouldn’t it be boss if pennys were to sell up, leaving the old cannocks site to be bought and refurbished to it’s orriginal state by the city council.It could be financed by pulling the plug on this whole city munster rugby landmark crap.Sorry, at this point I feel I must proclaim my allegiance to munster rugby and indeed Limerick.:) The new streetscape would also help massively to promote it as a landmark site of its own.

I think you’re just going to have to accept it that the old Cannocks is gone forever:( . Of course things would’ve been so different if they had’nt demolished the original building in the first place. Its quite a puzzling decision really when you look at image 3 below you can see they strangely decided to replace the main building while leaving a haphazard looking single floor structure to the rear:confused: . Surely the thing to do was construct a new department store behind the original building! Penneys finally did this around the early to mid 80s, Im guessing this was when the store was reclad in red brick?

This is just a small bit I dug up from The Old Limerick Journal on the history of Cannocks, definitely something of a Limerick institution until it folded.

Cannock & Company Ltd was founded in 1850 by Scotsmen George Cannock & John Arnott(who were already operating a drapery establishment in Henry Street, Dublin at the time) and the business originally traded out of a number of buildings on the Georges Street site. In 1858 under the management of Peter Tait (who also set up the Limerick clothing company) a re-construction of the store was undertaken, incorporating all the property into 1 large building, this development gave Cannock’s its impressive and ornate façade, which was to lend character to the centre of Limerick for over a hundred years.

The upper floor was designed to cater for all apprentices and contained a large kitchen, dining and sitting rooms, a library and sleeping quarters. The entire cost of the undertaking was £9,000 and the principal architect was William Fogerty of Limerick, who was only 24 when he designed Cannocks, he later become President of the architects association of Ireland and also designed Boyd’s of William Street.

Kilmallock born Michael Clery (who set up Clerys of Dublin in 1883) succeeded Tait as director of Cannocks and exerted a strong influence over the company during his tenure. In 1888, a chemists shop adjacent to Cannock’s was bought up and renovations commenced to incorporate this building into the main store. It was during this time that the famous clock tower, which was to become a distinctive hallmark of Cannocks, was added. The clock, which was known as a Westminster chime clock, was made by Gillet & Johnston of London and contained 5 bells. It was handwound and rang every 15 minutes as well as striking the hours. The clock was also lit up at night and could be seen from a considerable distance.

In 1862 Peter Tait bought property in William Street, in later years it was occupied by Goodwins, destroyed by fire, rebuilt, occupied by Besco’s and finally by Winstons. As an odd twist of fate, Cannocks, having sold their O Connell Street store to Penneys in 1980, transferred their business to the William Street premises and traded there in the final years prior to closing down c.1984. The building has since been replaced by the Williamscourt mall.

Images

1. Original Cannocks without its clock
2. “New” Cannocks c.1964
3. Limerick city centre (mid to late 70s)

Latest News