Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Anonymous
Participant

There is some ambiguity in the figures as he lists 35% of the 1500 units in Southill and 35% of the 1000 units in Moyross with a further 500 other units in unspecified places. On those estimates you have 1350 requiring demolition and half the remainder requiring serious renovation. Why not just level the lot on a phased basis and give these people a new start? I also like Colnemike’s point on integration why not develop 10000 units in a five year strategy at 50% at market 20% key worker and 30% social? All on a PPP basis under private mangagement companies post completion.

Re Ballymun the causes in Ballymun were more complex you had the very obvious social problems but the buildings also had extensive asbestos components which would have made their future maintenance costs prohibitive. The external cladding was also done on the cheap and all required replacement due to corroded steel fixings which in some cases were only years from failing and progressive failure could have led to panels weighing tons departing the building voluntarily.

I agree that it is a situation where costs shouldn’t prevent solutions but ultimately over the past decade two suburbs might as well have been on Mars for the amount of simularity that they had with the rest of Limerick.

On transport I note the way O’Malley Park was to be cut off from the road network in previous posts. Moyross has an operational railway with no plans for a station, Southill ditto. I just wonder what are the Department of Transport doing?

Latest News