Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

justnotbothered
Participant

@jimg wrote:

Would they not leave the castle alone? 😡 It’s about the only bit of medieval Limerick left (along with St. Mary’s Cathedral) with any sort of structural integrity. And no, that “medieval house” or pub or whatevet it is they built on the Island a few years ago doesn’t count. It’s bad enough that they ran bulldozers through it in the 50s but the newer “interpretative centre” is highly innappropriate and unsympathetic also in my opinion. Now they’re proposing to compromise the remaining decent view of the Castle (from Clancy’s Strand or Thomond gate) with a boardwalk? Maybe they should just get rid of the river wall altogether since it’s getting in the way of a proposed tourist route. :rolleyes: Let’s face it, the council have the opposite of the “midas” touch when it comes to the historical fabric of Limerick. I dread to think of the state St. Mary’s Cathedral would be in if it had been in the council’s hands for the last 50 years.

I agree with a healthy level of suspucion and cynicism but the fact remains the river and the castle are neglected when it comes to tourist amenities, and we should commend the council for looking at ways to make them more open to tourists. Is the boardwalk the right way of doing so, or perhaps, what impact will the boardwalk have on the castle? King John’s Castle should be nationally famous and yet very few people outside Limerick would even know about it.

Also, I would like to see an intergrated plan for the medieval Island that remains, what is the future of Nicholas street, once the main street in Limerick, now one of the most run-down, and what steps are being taken to envcourage proper development?

Mike, I can’t share the plans for the Boat club and it was silly of me to mention I’d seen them.

Latest News