Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Anonymous
Inactive

Punch’s Cross go ahead (Limerick Leader)

By MIKE DWANE http://www.limerickleader.ie/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=3419&ArticleID=2093686

DEVELOPER Robert Butler confirmed this Thursday afternoon that a compromise has been reached with residents over his four-storey retail/office development at Punch’s Cross.

Limerick City Council’s decision to grant, albeit revised down one storey, had been appealed to An Bord Pleanala on traffic grounds and that it would be out of character with the area. But residents have now withdrawn their objections to Mr Butler’s plans for the former Esso/Moloney’s car dealership sitewhich is zoned commercial.

“A lot of people said that we would not reach agreement and that this would not happen, but we have, and everyone is happy. Now we are going ahead with this development as soon as possible,” Mr Butler told the Limerick Leader when contacted this Thursday.

“The development will include a major anchor tenant for a supermarket, seven retail units, and underground car space for 450 cars.” 🙂

“I am very pleased that we could sit down. I have allayed the fears of the residents and I am pleased that I could do that. This will be a good development for the area,” Mr Butler said.
“Along with creating a couple of hundred jobs during construction, the development when completed will help create around 130 new jobs.”

Defence Minister Willie O’Dea and Cllr Pat Kennedy, Independent, were among those who backed local opposition to the original plans on grounds it constituted overdevelopment in what they said was a largely residential area.

In granting permission, Limerick City Council attached 17 conditions, including that it would lose a floor, a management company would be set up for the complex, the requirements of traffic management at City Hall be adhered to and a whopping development contribution levy of €2.8 million be paid to the Council.

Construction work would also have to limited to between the hours of 8.30am and 6pm on weekdays and finish by 12.30pm on Saturdays and public holidays.

But Mr Butler has said he does not anticipate much disruption while the complex is being built. “We have also come to an agreement to ensure that there will be minimum disruption to residents during the 12 to 15 months of construction work,” he said.

02 March 2007

Latest News