Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Home Forums Ireland well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ? Re: Re: well what about the developments popping up in the shannonside ?

Anonymous
Inactive

@Tuborg wrote:

Limerick Post 27th January 2007

Riverside city comes into its own

“Merchant&#8217]a lot could be done[/B] with the Potato Market, which is currently being used as a car park.:o

THE POTATO MARKET (Murray O’Laoire)

Limerick Civic Trust

http://www.murrayolaoire.com/urban/projects/potato_market/index.html

The brief called for the development of stalls for a Craft Market, the refurbishment of the original Potato Market site and the creation of a new performance space on the edge of the River Abbey on the Historic Kings Island quarter of Limerick City.
The works included the repair and reinstatement of the original quay walls and boundary railings with external works including paving of landscaping and the development of a new linear market building structure.
A new pedestrian bridge links the site with the Hunt Museum Park on the opposite river bank creating a vital link in extending the Limerick City Walk from King Johns Castle to the Limerick Docklands.

The Potato Market Development Area (Murray O’Laoire)

http://www.murrayolaoire.com/civic/civic.html

Proposed development of a mixed use civic space, incorporating building(s) of appropriate scale, form and location so as to enhance the areas existing qualities.

The development comprises of a slender, linear building running East to West with a generous Plaza to the North and a more intimate space to the South enclosed on the water’s edge by two smaller buildings.

Convert Potato Market into a Green Park?

I believe the Potato Market came into existence in the 19th century after the filling in of the Merchant’s Quay? The Limerick Civic Trust in one of their numerous conservation projects, redeveloped the Potato Market for civic and market usage. My proposal would of course undo their great work here but I think it would be a worth while exercise to consider other options?

My proposal is simply convert the market into a Green Park similar to the one on the other side of the Abbey River, i.e. the Custom House Park. It would mean removing the high walls that run between Mathew Bridge and the Curragour Boat Club and replacing them with low railings. These high walls demonstrate Limerick’s old negative relationship to the Shannon which was to “build with it’s back to the river”. The high railings and gate entrance would remain intact on the Merchant’s Quay. Trees and greens would replace the cobbled stone surface. A new Boat House would complement the park.

Positive aspects

• Give the mouth of the Abbey river a balanced landscape(Parks on both sides)
  • Visually link the Court House, St. Mary’s Cathedral and the Custom House.
  • The removed walls would no longer obstruct views of the cathedral.
  • More open green space along the river bank.

Latest News