Re: Re: Thomas Street & James Street, Dublin!
Those are some very high quality pictures you’ve got hold of there exene
Behind that rendered façade, No. 38 may be substantially the ‘new brick house’ that a Benjamin Stanley, victualler, built in 1734, in replacement of an earlier house on the site which had been occupied by a John Lewis. In July of that year, Stanley acquired a lease of the property from the widow and spinster daughter of John King, brewer, who in turn held the ground from the Earl of Meath. Stanley had dabbled in development before on another site near by on Thomas Court and we may even know who the actual builder was for the Thomas Street house as one of the witnesses to the 1734 lease was a William Brabing, carpenter.
For that date, and given the 22 foot, three-bay, façade, there is little doubt that the new house looked like this conjectural restoration of no. 20 Thomas Street, though possibly without the stone bands that were beginning to be omitted in favour of plain brick façades at this time.
The property was known at this time by the sign of ‘The Pied Bull’ which was a popular name for inns in England in the 18th century, some of which survive today like a popular one that this sign belongs to in Chester.
Behind the Pied Bull on Thomas Street was a second smaller inn simply called ‘The Bull Inn’ which was entered through a passageway on the west side.
Each of these houses are rich repositories of local history, of one kind or another, it would be nice if we had a greater appreciation of these layers of history and kept them in mind when decision are being made about chucking out the old windows etc.