Re: Re: TCD’s €100m development plan

Home Forums Ireland TCD’s €100m development plan Re: Re: TCD’s €100m development plan

Anonymous
Participant

@tommyt wrote:

it’s a clever fudge on the part of TCD.They get rightful stick for killing Pearse st so any naysayers to the development are on a sticky wicket .

I absolutely disagree, this stretch of Pearse St is only ‘Dead Frontage’ because TCD bricked up the existing shopfronts, name one street in Ireland with a row of bricked up shopfronts that functions as a successful retail pitch.

The solution is very simple TCD can restore the buildings and reinstate the retail use to ground floor that the buildings were designed for, with the exception of one shop front which would feature a link from the Junction of Pearse St and Shaw St, back into the College.

These buildings are of sound structural condition and there is no excuse to remove functional historical urban fabric for the whim of someone in TCD.

@tommyt wrote:

Ultimately I reckon the corpo will turn it down cuz they won’t want to set a precedent after years of trying to get conservation taken seriously. The knee jerk An Taisce response is getting tiring at this stage,It’s unfortunate there isn’t some kind of provision for a conservation expert to adjudicate on this one

An Taisce and the Irish Georgian Society are the Heritage experts.

The positive answer to this thread is misleading I feel as TCD is a National Institution the concept of property is less relevant than it would be to a private developer. TCD as a National Body should have acted with more responsibility towards the built environment over the past two decades and not acting in the form of a knee jerk reaction when they start to out grow their site.

Make no mistake unless Trinity Court is moved from this location no architecture will solve the areas problems, American Holidays are the latest local business to flee, they went to Duke St last week. Quite frankly I don’t blame them.

Latest News