Re: Re: South Great George’s Street

Home Forums Ireland South Great George’s Street Re: Re: South Great George’s Street

urbanisto
Participant

I was previously going to offer a more measured response, so I might just side step exene1’s comments, which are just a tad intemperate.

I think it is fair to say that Dublin Civic Trust and An Taisce are two different beasts (each with their positive aspects and failings). DCT does not generally involve itself in the development process (and so attract the negative comments that that would entail) and hence it might be looked upon in a more positive light. However it also struggles to achieve any of its aims.

An Taisce are not at all the D4-boogey men and naysayer that they are portrayed as (as a direct result of their statutory role in the development plan process) and its obvious (to me anyhow) that so much of what the organisation argued during the boom rang true. In my experience AT generally argue against development within the context of the Development Plan, they aren’t pathologically opposed to new architecture or taller buildings (at least at a corporate level). Do they fuck up? Undoubtedly! But then they are an underfunded, membership-reliant organisation, run on a shoestring and really only in existence due to the selfless work of a number of people – there are bound to be weaknesses there.

But then ask yourself….did hugely wealthy developers fuck up in the boom? Did well funded and resourced and professional design firms/planners/engineers fuck up in the boom? Did the local authority fuck up in the boom?

Anyhow back to Aungier Street, and another curious case on the street to raise with DCC if anyone does the street tour tomorrow is No, 79 who have happily been undertaking work to their premises over the past few months including fencing off the front area (a private landing), repaving and refurbishing the shop front. A lot of the work deviates from a previous grant of permission in 2010 that included a condition requiring revised plans to be submitted before works began http://www.dublincity.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayUrl?theApnID=3774/10&theTabNo=2&backURL=%3Ca%20href=wphappcriteria.display?paSearchKey=1809310%3ESearch%20Criteria%3C/a%3E%20%3E%20%3Ca%20href=’wphappsearchres.displayResultsURL?ResultID=2231186%26StartIndex=1%26SortOrder=APNID:asc%26DispResultsAs=WPHAPPSEARCHRES%26BackURL=%3Ca%20href=wphappcriteria.display?paSearchKey=1809310%3ESearch%20Criteria%3C/a%3E’%3ESearch%20Results%3C/a%3E

Now its seems its time to apply for retention (application pending validation). After the works have been completed.

Latest News