Re: Re: reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches
Home › Forums › Ireland › reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches › Re: Re: reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches
St. George’s Chentenham, 1854 by Charles Hansom
The plans for this church were much admired by A.N. Didron at the Great Exhibition.
ST. GREGORY’S CHURCH was built in the decorated style and begun in the spring of 1854 to replace a simple chapel which had been erected, on the site of the present tower in 1809 by the first Rector, Father Augustine Birdsall O.S.B. The chancel was opened for worship in May 1857. The tower and spire were begun but not completed until 1876, when the present nave, which connected the two existing parts of the building, was built. The church was consecrated in 1877.
The Church was designed by the famous architect, Charles Hansom. It contains many beautiful stained glass windows, crafted by the John Hardman Studios of Warley, Worcestershire, six of which are original, the others dating from 1857 – 1900. There are many fine stone carvings including the reredos behind the High Altar, the Pulpit front, altar fronts and a magnificent set of Stations of the Cross around the walls.