Re: Re: reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches

Home Forums Ireland reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches Re: Re: reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches

Luzarches
Participant

Re Beauvais: The High Altar – sadly stripped of its ornament which appears to have been scattered all over the sanctuary…

However, and I am that sure Praxiteles is aware of this, there is a somewhat crude drawing of the old (medieval) High Altar reproduced in Stephen Murray, Beauvais Cathedral, Architecture of Transcendence, Princeton University Press, 1989 .

As I recall, it was large, perhaps even of the same width as the current and surmounted by an openwork tower-pinacled niche with painted side wings. There were two smaller altars on either side with similar fretwork, I think one dedicated to St Anne. Beyond this ensemble one can make out now vanished tombs and open-work gothic screen tracery.

As splendid as the eighteenth century stuff is, it’s as well to remember that they replaced stone and precious metals with marble, scagliola and plaster…It’s a moot point really, since the Revolution would have swept all the old stuff away anyway.

Latest News