Re: Re: reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches
Home › Forums › Ireland › reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches › Re: Re: reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches
Another one here.With links to plans & elevations to view at the foot of the post.
Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Saggart, Rathcoole, Co. Dublin
Proposed renovation and improvement works to include: demolition of the existing Sacristy, and its replacement with a new single storey extension (45.9m2) to the south east elevation. Proposed new vehicular entrance, surface car-park with hard and soft landscaping, external works to include 1 no. access ramp, re-pointing and re-roofing and ancillary repair and site works; internal works to include repair and modification works, new glazed side entrance lobby, new gallery over retained timber lobby, stairs to new gallery, ramping for disabled person access, new finishings and floors.
Site address: Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Saggart, Rathcoole, Co. Dublin.
RPS: Protected Structure (325 & 328 RPS)
325 – Limestone Church, Tower and drinking Trough
328 – Church, stone head crosses, grave slab etc.
O.S Map reference: 3388-25
Approx. size of site: 1.4 Acres
Existing Gross Floor Area: Church: 709.05m2, Parochial House: 116m2
Area of demolition works: Sacristy: 23.48m2
Proposed gross floor area of new works: 91.4m2 (new sacristy, new gallery)
Description of Development
1.0 Site Location and Description
The subject site is located to the east of Saggart village centre accessed from Garters Lane, Saggart, Rathcoole, Co. Dublin. Saggart. The village of Saggart, which lies between the villages of Tallaght and Rathcoole is on the road from Tallaght to Blessington or vice versa. Neighbouring to the west are private residential dwellings and to the south and east undeveloped green fields. East of the back-lands is the City West Development and south of the green fields are GAA playing pitches. Opposite the church is the entrance leading to the cemetery in the north of the village as well as individual dwellings and a service station. The Church currently exists on an “L-shaped” site covering approximately 1.4 acres which includes the parochial house in its boundaries with the Greenfield site to the south and east.
The site is accessible via pedestrian gates and a vehicular entrance located north of the site off Garters Lane. Currently no vehicular access or parking is provided on the site. The parochial house has its own vehicular entrance off Garters Lane. The site is covered with tended grass lawns bisected by tarmac footpaths. There are a number of coniferous and deciduous trees on the site. There are further lands surrounding the church and parochial house to the east and south which are believed to be in church ownership.
Work on the construction of the Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary commenced in 1844 but consisted mainly of the foundations. Work on the structure began in 1847 and the dedication took place on the 19th of August 1849 by the Archbishop of Dublin. It has a strong presence in the village with a large forecourt and grounds which enhance its setting. The parochial house adjacent was constructed during the same period. It is a cruciform Gothic Revival Church designed by an unknown architect.
Internally the church has many features of interest including a distinctive sex-partite vaulted ceiling with plaster moulded ribs and decorative floral bosses to the nave, transepts and chancel area. Much of this is currently in poor condition. The white marble relief located to the right of the aisle was transferred from the original church on the site.
The building has seen many changes and additions since its inception, most notably in the layout of its footprint. The church appears to have originally been cruciform in plan with a vestry room and a pair of projecting rooms to the south. There is a square plan tower over the entrance. In the late nineteenth century a meeting hall was added and the two small projecting rooms were removed. In the mid-twentieth century the layout of the vestry room was changed.
The changes and additions which have taken place since the churches inception were completed in sympathy to the building in response to its evolving needs. It is hoped that the current proposals will similarly become an integral part of the church’s history.
1.1 Description of Structure
The overall composition of the church is freestanding, pointed-gothic, cruciform-plan Roman Catholic Church, c. 1848, set on a South-North axis having a square-plan three stage tower to the north and a chancel to the south with a vestry room to the east of the chancel and a community hall that was added c.1890 to the west of the chancel. To the northern wall of the western transept is a double-pitched projecting chapel. The church nave is composed of four bays with pointed arch window openings, to the gable ends of the transepts, pointed arch window with intersecting tracery. To the chancel is a pointed arch triple lancet window with stained glass. The church is set back from the road within its own grounds bounded by rubble plinth wall to front with wrought-iron railings. To the east of the church is a detached three-bay two-storey presbytery.
2.0 Development Plan
Record of Protected Structures: Ref. 325 & 328
Under the current South Dublin County Council Development Plan 2004-2010, the subject area has a zoning:
Objective LC:‘To protect, provide for and/or improve Local Centre Facilities’.
Lands east and west of the subject site:
Objective A:‘To protect and/or improve Residential Amenity.’
Lands to the south of the subject site
Objective GB: ‘To preserve a “Green Belt” between development areas’.
The subject site is located in an Area or Archaeological Potential Ref. 021-034 – Record of Monuments & Places due to a cluster of Recorded Monuments and Protected Structures.
3.0 Proposed Development
SCHEDULE OF WORKS
D1 Removal of existing single storey Sacristy on south east side of Church.
D2 Removal of existing oil storage at rear of church.
D3 Removal of existing gallery over timber entrance lobby and access stairs.
D4 Removal of existing plywood draft lobby at side entrance.
01 Proposed replacement single storey extension to the south east of the existing structure to contain store room, sacristy and disabled W.C..
02 Proposed external lighting with hard and soft landscaping.
03 Remove and replace the existing concrete footpath and surface finish around the existing church structure with porous gravel.
An Archaeological Report. Preliminary Report is to be prepared as part of the Planning Submission.
04 External dished disabled access located at the north east entrance to the church.
05 External ramp access to Day Chapel located on the south west elevation
06 Proposed access ramp to new single storey sacristy located on the south east side of the church.
07 Re-slate existing roof using salvaged slates where possible to match existing.
08 Replace lead roof to tower
09 Re-roof external boiler house to match existing slate roof.
10 Replacement of all rainwater goods with cast iron to match existing.
11 Proposed upgrading of existing surface and foul drainage.
12 Remove existing sand and cement pointing and all render to exterior.
13 Re-point external elevations using a hydraulic lime pointing and render to conservation architects recommendations.
14 New glazed internal draught lobby located in transept in lieu of existing plywood enclosure.
15 Alterations to existing entrance lobby where applicable to enable extension of gallery above.
16 Removable ramps to access sacristy and day chapel.
17 Proposed extension to existing gallery at first floor level over main entrance with new supporting structure and access stairway.
18 Storage area to be provided within new stairway to gallery and on opposite side under gallery.
19 Proposed side alter shrine with new floor finish and lighting.
20 Remove existing vinyl floor tiles and replace with new tiled floor covering subject to Asbestos Report.
21 Repair timber floors in tower structure where decayed.
2 Repair alter floor – letter motif and gold mosaics.
23 Retain and repair where applicable stained glass windows throughout the church.
24 Repair works to be carried out on plaster where damaged internally.
25 Internal re-decorating on completion of repair works.
26 Inspections to be carried out on roof timbers and repair works where trusses decayed.
27 Replace existing splices and repair purlins at gables.
28 Upgrade existing mechanical & electrical services – main distribution board, power outlets, lighting, fire and intruder alarm, CCTV, sound system, heating, ventilation.
29 Original Church pews 24No. located in the transcept are to be retained and non-original Church pews located in the Nave are to be replaced. The design of the benches to be replaced will be of similar design to those to be retained.
30 Re-locate altar 300mm back than as existing.
31 Provide new frames to the Stations of the Cross where previously affected by woodworm.
32 Existing Prayer Room to be refurbished and redecorated.