Re: Re: reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches

Home Forums Ireland reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches Re: Re: reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches

#774163
Praxiteles
Participant

From the architectural survey:

Description
Detached four-bay Gothic Revival Roman Catholic church, dated 1840, retaining original aspect with tower on an octagonal plan and sacristy projection. Interior retains original aspect. Stained glass designed by Mayer & Co, Munich. Double-pitched slate roof with stone coping, limestone finials and profiled cast-iron rainwater goods on corbels. Roof to tower not visible behind castellated parapet. Nap rendered walls, painted, with raised quoins. Limestone ashlar tower with plait bands and crucifixes to corners. Lancet-arch window openings with limestone sills, limestone hood mouldings and timber-framed lattice windows. Lancet-arch door opening with timber panelled door with overlight. Full-height interior; stained glass windows (one – depicting “Agony In The Garden” – signed Mayer and Company; one, c.1950, depicting Saint Patrick; two depicting Saints Brigid and Patrick); marble and limestone wall monuments (dedicated to Reverend Nicholas Harding, died 1854); timber organ gallery to first floor on a half-octagonal plan over clustered columns having brackets; flat plaster ceiling with plaster ribs and rosettes; marble railing to chancel with brass gates; original carved marble altar; Decorated Gothic-style reredos; pointed-arch door openings to vestry projection. Church is set back from road in own grounds; landscaped grounds to site. Gateway to site comprising cast-iron piers with cast-iron double gates.

Latest News