Re: Re: reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches
Home › Forums › Ireland › reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches › Re: Re: reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches
St Brendan’s Birr Co Offaly
Some interesting details about the this church:
Dean John Scanlon PP (1903 – 1916)
Major renovations costing Â£7,200 were carried out by Dean Scanlon between 1910 and 1917. W.H. Byrne, Dublin was Architect for the project. It is interesting today to examine the costs of building at the time. The following works were carried out: Repairs to a stone pinnacle by Daniel Carroll (Seffin), D. P. Hoctor (Green Street) main contractor was paid Â£3,378. McLaughlinâ€™s (Dublin) carried out work to the ceiling, steel roof supports were installed costing Â£1,800, Joseph Egan (Chapel Lane) pointed the exterior walls for Â£140, Gas lighting Â£160, 8 large and 4 small cut -stone windows Â£910, Hodginson (Limerick) painting and decoration Â£406, roof and ventilation Â£152.
Interesting also to note Hodginson’s of Limerick also worked on this church which has a fine ribbed ceiling of a type similar to those installed by the Pain brothers in the North Cathedral in Cork and in St. Patrick’s, fermoy, and St. Patrick’s, Dungarvan.