Re: Re: reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches

Home Forums Ireland reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches Re: Re: reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches

james1852
Participant

@apelles wrote:

Terrific Stuff James1852… My goodness look at the gap distance between the planks on the scaffolding up top..no safe-pass course’s back in 1925 then!

Ties & overalls…Brilliant…Of the twelve pictured here, I wonder would any have been employed locally to help?

Yes, there were always some local men employed on each job, although most of the craftsmen travelled from Limerick. All the men generally stayed until the work was completed as the working week was six days back then.We have references of them travelling by horse-drawn coaches , and in earlier times they traveled by Bianconi’s Coaches in 1859 to the decorate the twin Churches in Wexford.
Also it is not so long ago since gaps were left between the planks to spare the amount used, I can remember being on such scaffold in the late 70s, early 80s and clambering up the bars to reach the top 50 or 60 feet up.
All employees of the firm wore shirts and ties right up to the 70s partly out of respect for the buildings they were working in.

Latest News