Re: Re: reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches

Home Forums Ireland reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches Re: Re: reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches

engstu
Participant

Thanks for the welcome apelles!

There are now more photos up on Boards.ie and an update on what’s happening at the moment – pretty much just securing the structure to allow investigations to proceed.

@Fearg wrote:

Can anyone suggest a decent architect the Bishop could work with

I can’t suggest an architect, but I was having a look around on the internet (doing a bit of procrastination instead of studying!) and I came across the restoration of the London Opera House at Convent Garden. They used a pretty novel technique of stone clad steel columns – not the usual method of building a steel frame of UC’s and UB’s and then fixing stone panels to the steel UC’s. The method used can be seen in the the link below.

http://www.drillandsaw.org.uk/pages/casestudies/vol1issue1/royalopera.htm

Judging by the damage in the pictures, the most economical and quickest way of restoring St.Mels may now be to just demolish the internal rows of columns and re-construct them a similar method as was used in the London Opera House – that way the arches & walls over the columns and the main roof could also be constructed of steel – which due to its properties and ability to be fire proofed, it would preform better in a fire!

Any thoughts?

Latest News