Re: Re: reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches

Home Forums Ireland reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches Re: Re: reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches

Praxiteles
Participant

@brianq wrote:

Prax,

. Again, Caeremoniale Episcoporum makes no reference to a height relationship between Cathedra and Altar. It is reasonable to assume that the liturgical law quoted in McConnell’s book (if not formally abrogated) is de facto so. I have a copy of McConnell’s book. It’s a wonderful book and I refer to it from time to time. I find it very useful for historical / traditional purposes but it should be remembered that it and the law quoted / referred to within it has been superceded.
BQ

While I am pleased that this discussion seems to have resussitated the idea that liturgy is conducted in accordance with the norm of law, established by ecclesiastical authority, it appears that we are going to have dust off the concept a bit before we begin to realize how it functions.

In the quotation above, the following is claimed. It is reasonable to assume that the liturgical law quoted by McConnell’s (sic) book (if not formally abrogated) is de facto so. I am afraid that this assumption is not at all reasonable. The law presumes that those provisions mentioned in O’Connell’s book which cover areas not explicitely dealt with in the most recent legislation are, subject to certain conditions already mentioned, still in force, do have binding authority and must be complied with. Remember that the law operates on an hermeneutic of continuity and not one of discontinuity. In O’Connell’s book, only those provisions of law cited by him that have been aborgated have been superceded. Again, a little subtlty of mind please.

Thus, assuming that no other provision has been made elsewhere on the subject of the proportion of heights to be observed betewwn planes bearing High Altars and those bearing Cathedras, we have to take it that the lacuna legis is supplemented by the existing legislation quoted by O’Connell. Strictly speaking, the same is true of what he says about colours – pending the creation of another Cardinal of the Holy Roman Church in Armagh, the Cathedra should be covered in green. Otherwise, it could be read as an aspiration!!

Latest News