Re: Re: reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches
Home › Forums › Ireland › reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches › Re: Re: reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches
St Petrick’s Church, St. John’s, Newfoundland, (1855-1881) by JJ McCarthy.
Praxiteles does not quite know what it is but of the 19th century Irish gothic revivalists JJ McCarthy’s churches have been most vandalized by the iconoclasts. As with Monaghan and St. Saviour’s in Dublin, so too this one has been internally gutted.
St. Patrick’s Church, a late Gothic Revival, also termed Neo-Gothic, style building was designed by J.J. McCarthy, a very important Irish architect, and was possibly built by local T. O’Brien, local architect and mason. The cornerstone of St. Patrick’s Church was laid on September 17, 1855, by Bishop Mullock and other distinguished clergy from Canada and the United States. American financier, Cyrus Field, contributed Â£1,000 to help with construction costs. Despite Field’s substantial contribution, financing the project proved difficult. Financing troubles combined with labour shortages resulted in the numerous construction delays and, consequently, the structure was not completed until 1881.