Re: Re: reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches

Home Forums Ireland reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches Re: Re: reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches

gunter
Participant

@Praxiteles wrote:

Erfurth Cathedral:

Gunter! is this what you are looking for?

Perfect 🙂

I could have got the same view myself, but it would have involved climbing to the top of a bungee-jump crane and that was never goin’ to happen.

Erfurt is very interesting from an urban intervention point of view, because apparently there was a serious fire in the 19th century which took out the city block below the building with the red tiled roof and the city authorities decided to use the opportunity to amalgamate two smaller city squares into the one vast square that exists today.

This created a huge space for festivals (and bungee-jump cranes) but the Dom and the other church, with the three little spires, are now a bit lost on the edge of the vast space and they don’t dominate in the way that they must have done originally.

I must try to get more information on this, could be useful when considering the qualities that make for great urban spaces. Probanly a bit OT for this thread.

Latest News