Re: Re: reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches

Home Forums Ireland reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches Re: Re: reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches

#772832
Praxiteles
Participant

Leo M. J. Dielmann

St. Mary’s Fredericksburg, Texas

Catholics were the first denomination to leave the Vereinskirche, the community church in the Market Square of Fredericksburg. That first community church was built by the Adelsverein, the German Society of Noblemen, in 1847.

A log-house-style church was built in 1848 on the same property where they began building the larger native stone church in 1862. An Indian was asked to ring its bell when it was dedicated in 1863. After the Civil War additional streams of German Catholics came to Fredericksburg. By the turn of the century the need for a larger church was met with enthusiasm. Still known as “new” St. Mary’s, the church provides a classic example of Gothic architecture and was consecrated on November 24, 1908. Its principal architect was Leo Dielmann of San Antonio, with the contractor and builder, Jacob Wagner of Fredericksburg.

Built of native stone quarried near the city, the total cost of building and furnishing the church was around $40,000.

Still fully functional is the original pipe organ built by George Kilgen & Son of St. Louis, Missouri. It was installed in 1906 as a pump organ and has been completely electrified.

Latest News