Re: Re: reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches

Home Forums Ireland reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches Re: Re: reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches

Praxiteles
Participant

Re posting 1119 and the following quotation from it: “the Liturgical Commission is an episcopal commission – consisting of bishops(.) [and] (It) has the full authority of the Irish Episcopal Conference to make directives regarding liturgy”.

I am sorry to appear to harp on the subject of the authority of a liturgical commission of an Episcopal Conference but I think that it is important to distinguish clearly the specific competence of a Liturgical Commission. It certainly does not have “the full authority” of an Episcopal Conference “to make directives regarding the liturgy”. Directives about the liturgy, where they can be made by a Conference, are made only by the full assembly of the Conference on a two thirds majority. Such diorectives are then submitted to the Holy See before publication to obtain recognitio which permits their rception into the law of the Church.

I am attaching the text of the motu proprio Apostolos Suos of 21 May 1998 which explicitates why the “full authority” of an Episcopal Conference cannot be be Delegated or passed on to one of its subordinate organisms or commissions. I am also adding a link to this posting which will give you the full text of the English translation of Apostolos Suos. Dr. Alan Kershaw’s evidence at the Midleton Oral Hearing was perfectly accurate – as you would expect from an advocate of the Roman Rota.

“20. In the Episcopal Conference the Bishops jointly exercise the episcopal ministry for the good of the faithful of the territory of the Conference; but, for that exercise to be legitimate and binding on the individual Bishops, there is needed the intervention of the supreme authority of the Church which, through universal law or particular mandates, entrusts determined questions to the deliberation of the Episcopal Conference. Bishops, whether individually or united in Conference, cannot autonomously limit their own sacred power in favour of the Episcopal Conference, and even less can they do so in favour of one of its parts, whether the permanent council or a commission or the president. This logic is quite explicit in the canonical norm concerning the exercise of the legislative power of the Bishops assembled in the Episcopal Conference: “The Conference of Bishops can issue general decrees only in those cases in which the common law prescribes it, or a special mandate of the Apostolic See, given either motu proprio or at the request of the Conference, determines it”.(77) In other cases “the competence of individual diocesan Bishops remains intact; and neither the Conference nor its president may act in the name of all the Bishops unless each and every Bishop has given his consent”.(78)”.

The full text of the English language can be found here:

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/motu_proprio/documents/hf_jp-ii_motu-proprio_22071998_apostolos-suos_en.html

Latest News