Re: Re: reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches

Home Forums Ireland reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches Re: Re: reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches

Gianlorenzo
Participant
brianq wrote:
Hi Prax

You said

BQ: I don’t think you’re correct here. The desire for a more appropriate proximity between altar and congregation is now – if maybe not directly after Vatican 2 -about expressing more clearly the nature and reality of the People of God. When we gather for worship Christ is truly present. We gather as one people within which the priest has a special ministry. Christ is truly present in the priest when he presides over the assembly as well of course but the guidelines produced by the Irish Bishop’s conference are clear that the primary symbol is the unity of the assembly – the People of God. This undestanding of the People of God has developed slowly since the beginning of the Twentieth Century and reached a high point in Vatican 2. It’s still developing now. The question is how should our understanding of the People of God be manifest in the church interior? We have come to realise that perpetuating an exclusive zone into which only male ordained may enter contradicts the reality of what the People of God is and this in turn undermines the liturgy. Does that mean the wholesale reorganisation of historic church interiors? No. Whatver is proposed must take into account the integrity of the architecural setting and must be sensitive to the particular faith community. However, to freeze the interior in a moment of time is to deny the constant striving for understanding of who we are and of our Christian mission.

Dear BQ,

Like many modernist you have the whole thing backwards. Christ is Truly Present in the Eucharist. He is also present in the priest as he is “in persona Christi”, and in the assembly. What you refer to as ” an exclusive zone into which only male ordained may enter” is in fact a place set aside, not for Man, but for God. We do not attend church to worship Man. What is undermining the Liturgy, as you put it, is this elevation of the “People of God” above God Himself.
You refer to ‘guidelines produced by the Irish Bishops’, can I presume you are referring to ” A Place of Worship”.
I will quote what Dr. Alan Kershaw, Advocate of the Apostolic Tribunal or the Roman Rota, said regarding this publication at the An Bord Pleanala Oral Hearing re. Cobh Cathedral, in Midleton:
” It must be stated that this publication was never put to a vote by the [Irish] Episcopal Conference and it was never submitted to the Holy See for recognitio meaning that it has never been approved. Hence this publication is not vested with vim legis and thereby is totally devoid of any authority.….. The book “A Place of Worship contains nothing more than opinions, hence it must be disregarded.”
I don’t know who has been instructing you regarding Catholic Liturgy, but I suggest that you look to the authentic Church document on this, and in particular, I would suggest you start with the writings of our present Holy Father. 🙂

Latest News