Re: Re: reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches

Home Forums Ireland reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches Re: Re: reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches

Praxiteles
Participant

Quite by accident, I came across this photo-study of Palladio’s Santissimo Redentore in Venice.

The photographs of the interior are particularly useful, especially that of the chancel area. Here we see the original High Altar enfolded by sweep of corinthian columns. I imagine that Longford Cathedral, and the Pro- Cathedral in Dublin must, originally, have conveyed a similar idea of the use of space.

If we were to transpose to Venice the hack mentality that ruined the interiors of both Longford and the Pro-Cathedral, can we even begin to imagine the uproar that would take place? Yet, the hacking happens in Ireland and nothing happens. Indeed, with a sort of perversity it is hailed as “genius” by those who know even less than the hackers.

The Santissimo Redentore is a functioning Catholic church. It seems to be able to do so without the daft “liturgical” iconoclasim that stalks the land in Ireland.

I might also add that we have come quite a distance since the Venitian Santissimo Redentore to reach the Holy Redeemer built in Dundalk – where even the inscriptions on the altar had degenerated to English!

http://www.bluffton.edu/~sullivanm/italy/venice/redentore/redentore.html

Latest News