Re: Re: reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches

Home Forums Ireland reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches Re: Re: reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches

Praxiteles
Participant

Re seating in Limerick and Belfast cathedrals, I have to confess that I have been in them recently and have not seen the new seating arranhgements. You may have noticed from some of the earlier postings that the current “fad” among the so called liturgists is moveable seating – usually stacked plasticated things, or someting more recogniseably “chair” of “stool” as used by Richard Hurley.

I suppose taht it is possible that seating might have been skimped upon in the building of Irish churches but that would not be true in the case of some of the important buildings. The seating in CObh Cathedral, for instance, was designed by Ashlin and executed to a level consonant with the rest of the building. Unfortunately, this feature of the Cathedral is also under attack: several of the benches have been removed fromn their original position and dumped in the Lady Chapel where they are certainly in the process of impacing on the ornamental mosaic floor – which was never intended to have seating. This is supposed to be a “cute” solution thinking that nobody would notice. I am still waiting to see how it will take the COrk COunty Conservation Officer to have them removed before the floor is wrecked.

The Pro-Cathedral in Dublin also has a fine set of benches.

Latest News