Re: Re: reordering and destruction of irish cathedrals – St Colmans Cathedral, Cobh

Home Forums Ireland reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches Re: Re: reordering and destruction of irish cathedrals – St Colmans Cathedral, Cobh

Michael J. OBrien
Participant

Sorry to be a spoil sport.

St Senan’s Church in Kilrush, Co. Clare is a true gem at the moment.

6 Harry clarke windows behind the altar. In the 1980s a Japanese Musuem apparently offered millions to purchase them.
Beautiful rose window in the rear wall.
Huge tower of which the base has been conferted into a beautiul chapel.
Original carved wood and marble behind the alter.
Mosaic, tiled and wooden floors
Beautiful patterned ceiling- this is one of the most impressive I have seen in an Irish ecclesiastical building.
Beautiful carved lecturn- one of the statues was missing when he arrived from Dublin (whent he church was build when?) and a local trademan matched it.
Beauiful original altar railings.
Beautiful modern cut stone porches. They were built in the 1970s or 1980s and they nearly bankrupt hte parish. Good to see the Canon at the time had an eye for architecture.

Sadly I believe there is a ‘restoration/modernisation’ planned for the church which has commended and there is huge fundraising for it. The church is in need of considerable restoration but I hope they keep the altar and altar rails.

It is amazing that we have the potential to go backwards s still architecturally speaking in 2006.

http://www.kilrushparish.com/churchtour.htm

These photos are poor. The next time I am in Kilrush I will try to take some proper shots.

Latest News