Re: Re: reordering and destruction of irish cathedrals – St Colmans Cathedral, Cobh
Home › Forums › Ireland › reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches › Re: Re: reordering and destruction of irish cathedrals – St Colmans Cathedral, Cobh
Some external shots of the Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross, Charleville, Co. Cork. The massing of the building is seen to best effect arriving into Charleville from the east. According to the foundation stone, layed on the 16 Kalends of October 1898, the architect is M.A. Hennessey who is also responsible for the completion of the spire of the Redemptorist church in Limerick. the church was largely finished by 1900. The glass in the side aisles is by the Clarke Studios, Dublin, and seems to have been installed c.1915. The bust of Christ in the tympan of the main door is loosly modelled on Guido Reni’s Christ crowned with thorns, which in turn is taken from the same Guido’s depictions of the Crucifixions currently in the Galleria Estense in Modena (1639) and in the Basilica of San Lorenzo in Lucina in Rome (1678).