Re: Re: reordering and destruction of irish cathedrals – St Colmans Cathedral, Cobh

Home Forums Ireland reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches Re: Re: reordering and destruction of irish cathedrals – St Colmans Cathedral, Cobh

Praxiteles
Participant

Anto,

I also have some [hotographs of the Church of the Immaculate Conception in Kanturk, built in 1860 (just four years after the declaration of the dogma of the Immaculate Conception) by J. Hyrly and J.J. Callaghan. As I discovered to my horror, not even remote NW Cork is safe from Richard Hurley. The Nuns’ Choir has been converted into a day chapel. It is a scaled down version of the North Cathedral in Cork and of the Augustinian Church in Galway and of St. Mary’s Oratory in Maynooth (minus the Japanese Screen). Does RH have only ONE model in his copy book? It is trotted out with such terrible regularity that one begins to think that it must be getting thin from the photocopying! It was a thrill to discover that the gates on the altar rail (which survived because of a mass rebellion in Kanturk at the suggestion of their demolition) are by J.G. McGloughlin, Dublin who also provided for the Honan Chapel; and Cobh Cathedral. The Church is poorly maintained and in need of attention. This is somewhat strange as the Parish Priest, Canon John Terry, is chairman of the Historic Church Commission of the Diocese of Cloyne. If the state in which he maintains the church in Kanturk is anything to go by, then we can understand just why he recommended Cathal O’Neill’ outragous proposal for St. Colman’s Cathedral. Will post pictures soon.

Latest News