Re: Re: reordering and destruction of irish cathedrals and churches
Home › Forums › Ireland › reorganisation and destruction of irish catholic churches › Re: Re: reordering and destruction of irish cathedrals and churches
While Ashlin was busy in Queenstown, he also found time to plan Buttevant convent in North Cork.
ST. MARY’S CONVENT OF MERCY, BUTTEVANT. THIS building, which was formally opened on Sunday, 9th inst., occupies a fine site on the western bank of the Aubeg, and within a stone’s throw of the ivy-clad ruins of Buttevant Abbey. The style is Domestic Gothic, and the building, with its pointed gables and massive chimneys, has a very pleasing effect. The material used is local limestone, with Youghal bricks in jambs, arches, and chimneys, cut-stone sills, &c. The internal exposed woodwork is of red pine stained and varnished, and all exterior walls are battened. There is every accommodation for a community of 18 nuns, and a pension school to accommodate 100 pupils. The drainage, water supply, and ventilation, have been carefully attended
to, and are giving entire satisfaction. Mr. G. C. Ashlin was the (architect, and Mr. P. F. Monahan clerk of works. The cost was about Â£3,000.
[Taken from Irish Builder, Vol. XXI, 1879, p.52]