Re: Re: Patrick Byrne
The Irish Architectural Archive http://www.iarc.ie lists two Patrick Byrnes (Patrick Byrne (c1783-1864) and Patrick James Byrne) in its biographical index. Email them if you can’t visit the Archive at 45 Merrion Square, Dublin. May also be worth a query to the RIBA (Royal Institute of British Architects), founded in 1834 – they have data on past members.
Patrick Byrne is listed in ‘150 Years of Architecture in Ireland: RIAI 1839-1989’ as Vice-President of the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland from 1854 until 1864 (the president of the Institute was a member of the aristocracy from the RIAI’s foundation until 1863, so VP was the most senior member of the profession, although for most of Byrne’s period as VP the RIAI was moribund).
Patrick Byrne (who had been a founder of the Society of Irish Artists in 1842) was admitted as an academician of the Royal Hibernian Academy in 1860. When he died, aged 81, the RIAI established, unusually, the Byrne Fund “to raise an annuity for the daughter of the late vice-president.” Despite having designed the Franciscan church (Adam and Eve’s) at Merchant’s Quay (1830), St Paul’s, Arran Quay (1837), St Audeon’s High Street (1841) and Our Lady of Refuge, Rathmines (1850), he can’t have died a wealthy man.
Writing about St Audeon’s in ‘Dublin 1660-1860’, Maurice Craig asks: “Who was this Patrick Byrne who so excellently improved this occasion? We know little except that he studied under [Henry Aaron] Baker at the Dublin Society’s School, and designed the Turf Gas Co’s building in Great Brunswick street (Pearse Street), as well as various suburban and country churches, and died in 1864. Byrne is a common name: but it may not be worthless to record that an Edward Byrne, bricklayer, was a subscriber to Aheron’s ‘Architecture’ in 1754, while a John Byrne entered a design for the Royal Exchange competition in 1769. [Note: Since this was written I find that Mr CP Curran devoted an article to Byrne in ‘Studies’, June 1944, where further facts are set out.]”