Re: Re: New Building in Stephens Green
The St Stephen’s Green headquarters could sell for up to €100 million. About three years ago, the former headquarters of the Department of Justice on St Stephen’s Green sold for about €52 million. The St Stephen’s Green buildings have had a colourful history.
Mary Aikenhead, a convert to Catholicism and founder of the Sisters of Charity, established St Vincent’s Hospital for the sick poor of Dublin in the buildings in 1834. St Vincent’s transferred to Elm Parki n 1970.
The buildings were bought for Â£8million in 1979 by the Irish Permanent Building Society’s managing director Edmund Farrell who changed their name from Sean Lemass House to Edmund Farrell House after his father who ran the building society until his death in 1975.
The group subsequently changed the name of the buildings to 56-59 St Stephen’s Green after Farrell’s departure as head of the building society in 1993.