Re: Re: Irish say no to PVC windows

Home Forums Ireland Irish say no to PVC windows Re: Re: Irish say no to PVC windows

GrahamH
Participant

Indeed they do, and of course Craig makes reference to the Library windows also, however I wouldn’t be quite as quick to jump on Trinity. Roche’s book, as fine a publication as it is, doesn’t quite explain enough the variety of methods used, nor the popularity of certain types of glass, especially in Ireland – many references are made to UK glass or their methods that were imported, but with little expansion on their extent of use here.

The broad characteristics of crown glass and later glass such as cylinder and plate are very well explained, however the precise methods used in manufacture and more importantly the quality of output is not fully entered into. I’m no expert, but have come across countless examples of glass that cannot be neatly slotted into the categories as set out in the book, glass that looks like poor quality crown or high quality cylinder, glass that has both swirls and dimples, glass that has a highly dimpled surface, and glass that is much less blemished – all in a host of 19th century buildings of many ages.

Even comparing two images, look at the difference in quality between this and this – both supposedly cylinder glass:

Presumably Trinity is early cylinder or ‘broad’ glass, while Pearse St is a later improved version (?)

Admittedly your other pic does look dodgy Devin, but that could just be a dodgy pane of crown – it’s hard to know. I find it hard to think that Trinity would replace what even it recognises as one of the great treasures in the city with poor reproductions. The conservation project thus far looks like a job well done, even if the giant Venetians look a bit chunkier than usual now. You can certainly see the acres of priceless crown in the College Street window anyway!

Latest News