Re: Re: Images from the Irish Capuchin Archive
Church Street, Dublin. c. 1865
Photographic print of the Capuchin Chapel, Church Street. The first known link of the Capuchins with Church Street is in a document dated 3 May 1691. This chapel was probably located opposite St. Michan’s, Church of Ireland. The first chapel on the present site was fitted up in Roscommon House in 1720. This chapel was entirely repaired in 1736 but was eventually taken down in 1796. The building shown in the photograph is the Church constructed in 1796. This building consisted of a Nave with two short Transepts. The main entrance to this Church was from Bow Street which was then a busy thoroughfare near Smithfield market.