Re: Re: Grafton Street, Dublin

Home Forums Ireland Grafton Street, Dublin Re: Re: Grafton Street, Dublin

admin
Keymaster

Are there any architects offices on grafton st? what do their look like? can you see models from the street?

Do you ever have a point?

We cant go backwards of course but what strikes me most about the Cushman images is the uniformity and coherence of the streetscapes in 1961 and the lack of clutter. While certainly much of what we see might appear old fashioned now, everything from colour schemes to shopfronts to signage exudes calm and elegance. It makes you wonder just how much we have progressed.

I totally agree with your sentiments; I guess since that great rush to modernity in the 1960’s there have been a number of retailing trends which really upset the signage applecart built up organically over decades previously.

From the 1970’s on and the introduction of metal lightboxes fronted by plastic signs the days of tasteful timber or stone shopfronts were always numbered unless the local authority adopted and enforced a smart signage policy.

Ask all but the most prestigous retailers as to their signage preference and it is internally illuminated orange or yellow plastic as large as they can get away with. Sadly whilst Grafton Street has got better what is going on with Westmoreland and O’Connell Streets?

Latest News