Re: Re: Eyre Square – What’s going on?
Workers walk off Eyre Square development
Monday, 27th June, 2005
Construction workers on the controversial â‚¬9 million Eyre Square redevelopment in Galway city today walked off site.
Work on the city centre refurbishment ground to a halt after teams of builders failed to man the job.
A spokesman for Galway City Council said officials were seeking legal advice after employees from Samuel Kingston Construction walked off.
He said the workers had abandoned the job without notice. “Galway City Council wishes to express our deep disappointment and annoyance at the decision of Kingston Construction to walk off-site at Eyre Square despite repeated and ongoing attempts with the contractor to secure the completion of the contract by the November deadline,” he said.
The spokesman said no warning had been given of the stoppage. And he said all work carried out on-site, under terms of the contract, had been paid for in full by Galway City Council.
Work on the redevelopment of the square began in May of last year and was due to be completed by November. But the redevelopment has been dogged by criticism from the outset due the slow pace of work and the massive disruption to businesses in the city centre.
The Health and Safety Authority carried out a number of inspections at Eyre Square over the last year. No safety issues were identified by the HSA that would warrant the site being closed.
Earlier this year workers, some of whom are Polish, walked off site in a row over wages. Ends