Re: Re: Eglinton Street Tower, Cork

Home Forums Ireland Eglinton Street Tower, Cork Re: Re: Eglinton Street Tower, Cork

Saucy Jack
Participant

@shanekeane wrote:

Hmm, I don’t mean to be offensive, but I do disagree. I think Cork has some nice little lanes, and I like the South Mall because it’s the only street in the city that looks like a city rather than a town. I think Patrick Street is a failed project, full of dirty and decrepit looking buildings. MacCurtain Street looks like it’s straight out of the 70s. Washington Street is just a bunch of warehouses, and the Grand Parade is another failed project full of clutter and totally lifeless in the lower half. The quays are mind-numbingly ugly from Patrick Street right down to the bus station and beyond, on both sides. And the surrounding hills, areas like Shandon etc., are full of those old plastered grey buildings which depress the hell out of me. The big problem with Cork, like most Irish towns and cities, is the lack of attention to detail. There are some nice old buildings that are dirty, or badly kept etc. The paving stones on Patrick Street and Grand Parade are ugly and depressing. They should have used the golden French limestone paving stones they’re using in Limerick.

Cork has great potential. If they made an effort to orient the city towards the rivers, and to replace the ugly warehouse-type structures along it. I certainly don’t think, as you suggest, that historical buildings should be torn down. Cork is pretty unlucky in having very few really interesting historical buildings like Limerick or Dublin, but it should at least make an effort to properly preserve and clean the ones that it has, and pay attention to tiny details. And since outside of the very centre there’s widespread decrepitude and degradation, I don’t see a problem with knocking down tottering old buildings and constructing some tall ones like the Elysian.

Cork has a fantastic island core with great narrow streets and lanes,river frontage,bridges and above all else excellent topography.

The City has some unique architectural character that Dublin can only dream of.

Loook at Prague,Budapest & Paris – outside their cores are plenty of grey housing and high rise.

Latest News