Re: Re: Easter I916 Commemorative Military Parades to return to Dublin

Home Forums Ireland Easter I916 Commemorative Military Parades to return to Dublin Re: Re: Easter I916 Commemorative Military Parades to return to Dublin

murphaph
Participant

Erm, the 1616 rising failed though, so what’s to ‘celebrate’? There were rebellions before it that failed also, why not celebrate the all? I’m with jimg on this-marching our little army up and down Sackville* Street because FF are worried the nazis, I mean SF are making a better job of sporting the ‘republican’ mantle is pathetic.

To be honest, if we actually had a miltary of any significance it might be a little less pathetic, but we don’t.

1916 is not cut & dry. It was not universally supported at the time and it is not universally supported today, so the fervent republicans should get over it. I’m irish, I’m not proud because I’m irish because it was an accident-I could have been born a black baby in Lesotho, luckily for me I wasn’t, that’s all.

Marching up and down streets to celebrate one’s ‘culture’ is the kind of stuff that goes down a treat in sectarianland, I mean Northern Ireland. I don’t want my country, Ireland, to head down that road-we’re only just becoming a more pluralistic society today, and just beacuse other countries (incidentally all the examples cited here are of imperial (the US) or former imperial powers (Austria, France and the UK)) do it, why should we? We were never an imperial power, so that’s a big difference. Fair enough-every tinpot african country ‘celebrates’ this way-is that how we view ourselves?

*bait.

Latest News