Re: Re: ‘Dutch Billys’

Home Forums Ireland ‘Dutch Billys’ Re: Re: ‘Dutch Billys’

Anonymous
Inactive

Don’t know Graham if that building is on the record of Protected Structures, I can’t find the RPS on the Dundalk Town Council site.

It seems to be no. 69 Clanbrassil Street, I’ll try and check it out tomorrow. I think you’re right about the former cruciform roof. That would appear to be the only interpretation of the surviving gable profiles and it ties in very well with the scale and fenestration of the elevation in the earlier photograph.

Any up-date on the Roden Place houses?

a Graham pic of the two early Roden Place houses with the Victorian gables

I came across this reference that may or may not relate to these Houses:

Around 1736 Hugh Boulter, the reluctant [English born] Archibishop of Armagh sponsored the introduction of small a colony of Huguenot linen weavers to Dundalk in an effort to assist in replacing the ailing woolen industry. With a grant from Parliament and the assistance of the Linen Board, the colony was set up on part of the Earl of Limerick’s [also Earl of Clanbrassil] estate and apparently Clanbrassil himself undertook to construct the housing for the weaving colony, and the indications are that in an effort to get the package right, he employed the brick gabled-house model familiar from the weaving areas of the Liberties in Dublin.

A later lease dated August 1762, between the the Earl of Clanbrassil and a George Murphy, carpenter, refers to a property on the south side of Roden Place, ”being one of the ‘factory houses’ known by the name of the Red Houses”. This house adjoined another to the east, which was also one of the Red Houses, as was the next adjoining house to the west. The houses were bounded to the south by ‘The Dutchman’s Pond’.

We can’t go jumping to conclusions, necessarily, but the local nickname ‘Red houses’ is likely to have been a reference to the exotic red brickwork with which the houses were probably built, if as seems likely, Clanbrassil was following the ‘Weaver’s House’ model.

It’s interesting also that the houses were known as ‘factory houses’ being both workshops and dwellings.

Latest News