Re: Re: ‘Dutch Billys’

Home Forums Ireland ‘Dutch Billys’ Re: Re: ‘Dutch Billys’

Anonymous
Inactive

Boooooog, relieving arches over the windows of either the second floor or, more commonly, the attic storey are definitely a characteristic of the gabled tradition here – up to about 1720? after which time the feature begins to disappear. Actual round headed windows are a different thing and very rare, although I’ve thought of a couple more Georgian examples on Westland Row; the present Academy of Music building and the two adjoining houses to the south.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Back to roof profiles:

There used to be a terrace of three very interesting three storey houses on North King Street commanding the vista up the full length of Queen Street from the bridge.

detail of Rocque’s map [1757] with the three houses in question [nos. 91, 92 and 93] marked with a red X. Another interesting property [which I think may be no. 101] is outlined in blue

A very grainy detail from a 1950s aerial view shows the three houses at nos. 91 – 93 before demolition, each with what appears to be the same double-roof-with-central-cross-member layout that we saw at 5,6 and 7 Bachelors Walk.

A second grainy 1950s view of this terrace this time taken from street level unfortunately misses the roofscape, however the particular layout of the top floor windows may be revealing. In the case of the right hand pair of houses [nos. 91 and 92] the top floor windows are clearly spread slightly wider apart than the larger first floor windows below.

I know I’m barred from drawing conclusions from this kind of thing, but I will just point out that this unusual fenestration arrangement would probably have resulted in the top floor windows lining up with the pair of roof ridges above. . . . . . I’ve use the word ‘pair’ here because some people get upset when I use the word ‘twin’.

According to Paddy Crosbie’s brilliant book of aul Dublin ‘Your Dinner’s Poured Out’ [from which this image is plundered] these particular North King Street houses were known locally as ‘The Cherry Steps’

Further up the street and away from talk of double roofs, a single little gabled house from this period has survived at no. 101, now surrounded by a cluster of new apartment blocks.

This is a very curious little structure that should be examined closely before anything bad happens to it. For a start, it’s not immediately clear why the cross element of the cruciform roof appears to be located towards the rear of the section as opposed to being centrally located where it would normally abut the single chimney stack. Unfortunately the Google views are too indistinct to draw many conclusions and none of the people with over-looking balconies seem interested in answering their doorbells 😡

Latest News